2.21.2014

My husband the woodworker and the story of three desks. Our ikea hack.

I didn't realize when I married him, but my husband knows how to build a lot of stuff! He is super handy around the house. His stepdad is an excellent carpenter and has taught David the trade.  He can basically do anything. Superman.

Anyways, I was begging him a while back for a desk that I could do my art on. Never in my life have I had a real space I could create. In high school I had a sweet loft bed with a desk underneath, but the space was small so I usually worked on the floor. Ever since I've been working on kitchen tables. It got old.

I drew up some rough plans of what I thought I wanted and then left to visit my sisters in Texas. While I was away, he spent the whole weekend building me a desk!

                                    

I came home and it also had a brand new computer on top! Woohoo!! As you can see, the desk didn't leave much space for me to make anything on.  I failed to really explain what size I needed it to be and he did it as a surprise. I felt terrible because he had worked SO hard on it and then I asked how I was going to paint on this thing. Woops.

We did paint it thought and he made it a little larger, which was another weekend of work.  So it turned out like this.

He made it so it would open and I could store things inside.

This is all in our bedroom now since we don't have a office space.  I had to rearrange a bit because after all the work of the TWO desks he made, I had another vision. Woops sorry babe. After all the trouble he went through for those two builds, we came up with a new plan to use some old ikea side tables we had.  

And now we call it: MEGA desk. (any office fans out there?!)

It's long, like 5 1/2 feet. The tabletop was made from 3 ikea lack side tables.  We bought them when we first got married and really didn't need them anymore.  So he took off the legs and hinged them all together. I took pictures of most of his process, but they're all on my old computer. It takes 20 minutes to turn on that computer sooo...ya I don't use it.  Anyway, this third desk has now become my hub. It suits my needs perfectly!  Not only is it really long, it also meets up next to my husband's study desk, so we have a wall of a desk basically. Mega desk.

You can see in the above picture he built a large shelf under it to store all my papers.  It had a door latched on the front that would drop down and also hid the ugly front. My son broke it off...twice. It's laying on the floor by the wall in the bottom of the picture...

We had no legs however until we found an old table at deseret industries for $10. He unscrewed the legs an attached them to our tabletop. Perfect! The most expense in all this was just a sealer, particle board for the shelf, and hardware to make it hinge open. All that was less than $20 though.  

MEGA save.


Now all of my supplies are at my fingertips! I can listen to pandora, paint, and do digital stuff all at the same time! Yes!



  A $5 filing cabinet we spray painted a long time ago. 


It's not perfect, but it works for now! Thank you handy handy husband!!! Gotta love him.