9.23.2015

Fake chalkboard wall for renters

Our landlord won't let us paint the walls. Dangit. Most landlords don't let you. And they don't want us putting giant holes in the wall. We have a galley style kitchen and then end wall has just always seemed perfect for a chalkboard wall.  But there is an easy way to make a giant chalkboard, for cheap!


Materials Needed:

Hardboard tempered panel from Home improvement store
Chalkboard paint
Heavy duty Command strips
Paintbrush or roller


I just call this hardboard tempered panel stuff masonite board.  It's thin, smooth, and pretty lightweight. Pick up your board at Home Depot or Lowes. It's like 40 cents cheaper at Lowes.  14.48 as opposed to 14.92 for the 4ftx8ft board. Home Depot and Lowes will cut it down for you, and the first cut is free. At one of them 2 cuts are free, can't remember which. Measure your space beforehand and then have them cut it to size. If you do need an extra cut, it's only like 50 cents a cut.

Paint your cut board at home with chalkboard paint. I made my own using this tutorial. It's really simple to make, but mine came out pretty gritty. The textures not very smooth, but it works fine. You can pay $10 for the pre-made stuff, but making it was cheaper for me. I can live with the rough surface.

Then you just stick command strips all over the back edges. Don't put them in the middle or you have a hard time getting it off later! Leave the little pull tabs sticking off the edge so you can release them later. I needed 10 command strips to feel like it was secure, putting them on the top and sides. It helps to have two people to do this part.


Voila! This only took me one naptime to finish, most of that was paint drying time. 
Total cost for me: $15. 


I use this chalkboard all the time. For grocery items, picture backdrops, entertaining my son, posting our menu, love notes for me and the Mr. It's proven to be extremely useful and fun!




Have a rental? Get creative! Another rental tip: Use command strips to hang curtain rods!!!

Happy DIYing!