7.16.2013

I quit the day job, for now.

So I'm sharing my own personal stuff today. Especially because it's summer and teachers are off! Plus I quit. What???? You quit Mrs. Chinn!? My last day of teaching was in May. I received an outpouring of love from my students and former students.  It was bittersweet. I love teaching, that's not why I quit. I have a fabulous little 16 month old boy who needs his mommy to teach him :) When last school year started he was only 5 months old. It broke my heart to leave him.  It'll be nice to be with him for a while. Who knows when I'll go back and teach, we'll see.  I'd love to explore some non-public education teaching settings like teaching at a studio or maybe even private lessons. Who knows?!

Here's the reason I'm home.  Oh those big baby blues. It's hard to not kiss him every second. Sorry students, I love ya but I got a bigger role to fill right now!


The past year I've had a crash course in illustration while illustrating a book for my dad's cousin.  It's been quite a learning experience since I am definitely not an expert. I've been exploring different illustrating processes and ideas lately. I REALLY love it. Children's illustration blends what I really love: kids, humor, art, realism with a flare, and story telling. Why wasn't I aware enough to study this in school?

I've been playing around with animals lately.  I pick an animal, say a fish or shark, and then draw it lots of ways and add things to it. It's a fun game my husband and I play together too. I love to see what he comes up with (he's not "trained").

Scrapbook paper is really fun to play with too. I have a ton of it. Rachel why do you keep buying so much paper? You don't scrapbook. But there are so many fun patterns and colors, paper eye candy! Especially when it's on sale!  I'm trying to put it to good use. I'll be experimenting with paper craft illustration which I'll show more later.  Right now I'm cutting out simple shapes and making scenes with them, then drawing around it.  There's something really relaxing about cutting and pasting stuff.


I'll still be posting lessons and artwork plus I'll be including plenty more! Anything that can be made, I'll probably put that on here. Happy summer everyone! I'm off to the water park!