4.12.2013

How to make a tape transfer

Packing tape is for more than just packing up boxes.  I accidentally over-ordered packing tape last semester...I have about 5 boxes full of them.  Ridiculous. Totally over estimated! You can also make tape sculptures with it which I post about later.  

But for today's packing tape feature...how to do a tape transfer!

This can be done for so many things! Make decals for your windows, for a kid's room, for art projects, whatever.  It's fast and easy.  This will not work with ink printed from a regular inkjet printer. It has to be from a laser printer or magazines.  

You need:
one roll of clear packing tape
scissors
a magazine or laser copied image
water
 Find the image you want.  The only thing that will transfer onto the tape is the ink.  So white paper won't be there later.  Put the sticky side down on the image you want to transfer.
 Add more if you want.
 Flip it over to the paper side and run it under water to soak the paper.  You can do this immediately after sticking the paper and tape together.
 Then using a wet sponge or your fingers, start carefully peeling off the paper from the tape.  You want to rub hard enough to get off the paper, but not soo hard the ink comes off. Although that is the beauty of transfers is that rubbed off quality, do it to your liking.


 You can cut shapes out of it and stick it anywhere! In college I made a bazillion tape transfer butterflies, I just couldn't stop, I loved them.  I assigned my classes to do this for a sketchbook assignment. They thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I'm not the expert on this of course, there are lots of ways to do transfers and I don't know them all.  I do know you can do this with gesso (but it doesn't work with magazine) and gel medium or gloss medium works too.  Any others ways you know please share!