3.07.2013

DIY magnets




  So I got this stuff called Model magic
Model Magic, White2 lb Bucket

It makes no mess and is perfect for little kids.  It air dries and then can be colored with markers or paint. Super fun!

So I had some of these naked magnets sitting around.  I thought they needed some cute "clothes" so I molded little mustaches and an owl with the model magic. Super easy!  On the back of some of the small mustaches I used these magnet strips that have self adhesive. They can be cut with scissors to the size you want.
                                               
 So I smashed out a small amount of model magic so it was flat. Then I drew in a mustache with a pencil.  If your drawing skills are shaky, you could print off a picture and cut it out to trace.
 I started to try and cut it out with a clay tool...but it just snagged and ripped.
 But scissors cut it perfectly!
Then I let them dry for about 24 hours. I noticed it takes  a few days for them to be really dry.  It will always be somewhat soft, but they'll be sturdy.  I used markers to colors these.  Marker won't fill in all the cracks, but if you get a wet paintbrush and brush it over your marker, it will spread into all your little nooks and crannies. 

All my students want to put these on their faces.  Mustaches are super trendy for junior high right now. It's all the rage.

I made the owl using this tutorial.  (image below from myowlbarn.com)   My Owl Barn: DIY: Clay Owl – I want to make these right now @ DIY Home Crafts

 I hot glued magnets to the bigger ones.