2.26.2013

Coming up with ideas

It's not uncommon for my students to struggle coming up with ideas for their art work.  Usually I find them staring into space with their mouths open. When I ask them what they're doing they say "I'm trying to come up with an idea." Well most likely...that great idea is not going to be a lightning bolt to their head.  However they think that's what's going to happen.

Trying to get them to think can be a challenge, but there are some things I've learned that will help them in their process.  

1. Show them this video animation of Steven Johnson's book Where good ideas come from.  It's a great book, I highly recommend it.  I love what he says about "slow hunches" and "creating spaces where ideas can mingle."



2. Tell them to DO something, not just sit there.  Try some of these things...
         -Brainstorm
         -write down things about their life
         -doodle
         -look around at your surroundings
         -ask your neighbor about it
         -look at pictures (my next point)

3. Look at pictures.  This is precisely why I keep "picture files" they can use for reference photos.


4. Do something totally unrelated to your assignment. For students...they can read, free draw, clean, organize whatever. At home if I have a brain freeze, I'll wash dishes, go for a walk, take photos, work in my garden, go running.  Whatever it is, I try to do something sort of "mindless."  I heard once that at google they have days "off" at work where they are supposed to do something not related to their current projects.  During this "off" time is where many of their great ideas have come from. 

A great teacher I know gives his AP art students "fed ex" days where they have one class period to make something (fed ex because they have one day to deliver =).  It can be whatever they want, but it can't be any current assignment they have to do.  At the end of class they have to show what they did to their peers. They love it.  During this time great art making happens!

5. Don't stress! Just START. If you are worried about the pressure of creating something PERFECT, it might cripple you in the process.  Sometimes just starting without a plan is good.  You'll find yourself along the way.